Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only

If you believe you are a victim of identity theft:

  • File a police report to document the crime for your creditors. Contact your local police department or sheriff's office. Make sure you get a copy or the report number.
  • Report the theft to the Federal Trade Commission (1-877-438-4338) or https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov.
  • Contact all your creditors such as your bank, credit union, credit card company, cell phone provider, and other utilities. (Store all their toll-free, 24/7 customer service phone numbers in your cell phone contact list or write down and put in a secure place.)
  • Carefully read your monthly statements (credit card, bank, cell phone) for any unauthorized charges.
  • Get your credit reports.

More tips to protect you:

Federal Trade Commission Consumer Information - Identity Theft

Be Smart Online

Additional resources

Federal Trade Commission

Identity Theft Resource Center

Internal Revenue Service

OnGuard Online